“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.” Romans 12:12

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Stop and Listen

Every morning while I am getting ready, I turn on Pandora. I can't imagine my life without music. I grew up in a home where music was and always has been the center of our home. My dad is a musician and is the driving force behind why I love music the way I do.

After majoring in music in college, he toured with a Christian music group called "Wings of Light" and now he currently owns a music store in Lawton, Oklahoma. All growing up, I always remember my dad playing piano at some event at least once a week. He played at church, weddings, community jazz ensembles and was also a part of a duo group with just him and a guitar player playing weekly at restaurants around town. I have never known a life without music and I am so grateful for that.

Wes also grew up in a home where playing music was a daily occurrence since he, his dad, and brother are  all musicians. Wes's dad plays drums, as does Wes. And his twin brother, Dave, plays guitar. Wes and Dave were a part of a local secular rock band called, Stone Cold Sober, for about two years. However, as life changed for many of those in the band, they split up (still a sore subject with the twins). But that didn't cause the music to stop. Dave is currently playing with an 90's cover band and Wes is continuing to play drums at church. And of course, Wes's love for music runs deep with his love for music recording. There is no doubt that this family lives and breathes music.

God knew what He was doing when he brought Wes and I together. He knew our love for music would build such a strong bond with each other. To be able to understand the passion and joy of music is something we can share together and it is special part of our relationship.

When I listen to music, particularly Christmas music, I am always inspired. It has a way of taking ahold of your heart and takes you to an immediate place of worship.

This is how I want to start each and every day of my life; in a place of worship and music takes me to that place.

I have recently been listening to Bethany Dillon. She is a young, 20 year old, aspiring and very talented Christian artist. Her newest album, Stop and Listen, is wonderful. Her lyrics have blessed me every time I listen to them. I have noticed it is a great album to listen to as a new year begins. It causes me to think about my walk with God and the ways that it can be strengthened this new year. This album has simply said to me, just as the title says, stop and listen.

Wes and I always talk about how we need to spend more time in the Word of God. We know how powerful His word is and how much it can strengthen our faith in Him. Then why don't we do it?

Too busy...Right?

Yes, this is true. Wes works full time and I am a full time student.

Things are busy.

But in all the things we make time for during the day, why does time with God never seem to make the list? When we know how much it can change our lives if we make the commitment to Him?

We need to just stop...Nothing in our day can even come close to being as important as time with God.

There is time.

And we need to listen...

Wes and I always wonder: Where are our lives are going to lead? What does the future hold? Are we making the right choices? Are we doing what God has called us to do?

The answer to all these questions lies in our faith. And "so then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God". (Romans 10:17)

In order to hear from God, we have to listen.

We take on the challenge of taking more time to stop and build a personal relationship with Christ and to be still and listen to the things He is speaking into our lives.

So now I encourage and challenge you to "stop and listen". Take a moment to listen to this song and listen to what it is saying to you.






1 comment:

  1. Great blog...I so enjoyed hearing your heart :) love you guys!

    ReplyDelete