“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.” Romans 12:12

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Post for Stacy

While out to dinner last night with Wes, I ran into a great college friend of mine, Stacy. She informed me that I needed to update my blog because it has been since the 3rd that I have updated. Wow, how fast time flies! Just when I think I am catching up on blogging, another week slips by and I am having to update an entire week again. So is life, right? :)

This post is for you Stacy!

I have been wanting to update for a few days now, but really haven't had a whole lot on my mind to blog about. So hopefully this post will end up being everything my fellow readers will hope it to be and not too boring.

I am officially on Spring Break as of yesterday! Ya hoo!! Unfortunately, my Spring Break doesn't consist of any out of state trips like most are probably going to enjoy.

I did have plans to do several things but they all fell through due to either Wes not able to get the time off of work or lack of finances. Ugh. I can't wait to be working and making money so we will have enough to do the things we really would like to do. Those days are coming though! Just 140 more days of school and we will be a duel income household!

Option #1: My first plan for Spring Break was going to be skiing at Copper Mountain with Wes and my dad. LOVE skiing!! Wes being allowed a full week off was wishful thinking on our part, but we thought just maybe they would let him take it. No such luck. I guess we will just have to wait until he is forced to take a week off in August before we get to spend an entire week relaxing on a vacation.

So basically that left Wes stuck in Oklahoma and me to decide whether or not I wanted to stay home with him for the week or find other plans to get away for a few days.

Option #2: My mom, being a school teacher, gets a Spring Break every year and takes that time to visit my sister in Nashville. Okay, I can go too this year! I haven't been to Nashville since May of 2006. Wow, that sounds longer than it feels! Needless to say, I was really looking forward to getting the chance to not only get away from the daily grind, but get to spend quality time with my mom and sister.

And then the price of plane tickets stopped my idea dead in its tracks...Over $400 for a plane ticket! Ahh! As much as I wanted to go and really felt like I needed the time away, it is just too much for us right now. We are trying to save as much as we can and that money would have had to come out of savings.

Did I mention yet how ready I am to start working??

So Oklahoma it is...My last ever Spring Break and I will most likely spend it reading for my upcoming test I will have the week we go back. Not exactly my ideal plan for Spring Break, but at least I will stay on top of my studying.

Maybe that will allow me to blog more often this next week. I tell you what...here is my goal. I will do my best to blog once a day during the break. I will also try to be better with taking more pictures to share with all of you. I know I have left everyone hanging for the past two months so I am ready to make up for it!

So check for updates throughout the next week, I promise I won't let you down! :)

Update on school: It's going pretty good. Hospice rotation is officially over and I think I am happy about that. I enjoyed not having care plans to do for two and a half weeks, but didn't necessarily love the role of the hospice nurse. They are amazing people but just not the job for me.

We had a chance to sign up for our Leadership opportunity this past week. Although we can still change our minds about the area we would like to spend the summer in, I am pretty hopeful my mind doesn't change. I signed up for three different facilities, all requesting to be in OB. Hopefully that got my interest across to the instructors and OB is what I will get. I don't really have much preference on the facility I'm at, just as long as its with OB I will be happy. :) Leadership is basically like doing an internship. For us, it's a two month clinical rotation of our choice. Pretty similar to how clinicals have been throughout the year. Except this will be all day, every day following a nurse and hopefully doing new skills.

Critical Care is up next after the break. I am apprehensive and excited all at the same time. Not sure whether I will truly enjoy it as much as I did OB, but am keeping an open mind to what feelings might possibly develop. Many of the other students who just finished the rotation LOVED it. A good majority of them have requested ICU Leadership opportunities. It will most definitely be a very different experience than I what I have seen thus far but I am looking forward to a new learning opportunity.

Update on Lexi: She is a ball full of energy! We have officially hit the puppy stage. Most days Wes will ask me, "Are you sure this is what you wanted?". He most certainly does not have near the patience I do with her. So hopefully he can learn patient with a dog and when it's time to have a baby he will be ready. Ready?? What am I thinking? No one is ever truly ready for a baby, right?

As of right now, we aren't ready for that next step yet. Some of the reasons are obvious like not being settled into our jobs yet and money. But in general, I don't think we are ready to devote all of our time and energy to such a huge responsibility. At least we recognize this.

It is already hard to have time alone, just the two of us at times. Wes works non stop, 6 days a week, and school for me is always a full time job. We never seem to have enough hours in the day to really connect like we would like to. A vacation is most definitely in need! Or just a day off for Wes would probably ease up that feeling of never having enough time.

Sunday's are our only days to spend the day together so we try to make the most of it. And by making the most of it, we end up cramming so much stuff we want to do into one day we never felt we had time to just relax.

How does a couple find a balance between the two? Or even just a balance between busy work days and not enough time in the evening?

I'm sure we aren't the only newlywed's that go through the struggle of time management. It is a hard thing to manage. But at the end of the day, no matter how much time we get to spend together, the love between us is always there and will never change.

No matter what we may be doing during our day, Wes is always the first person I want to talk to when something happens. Like yesterday for example...

I had a list of things to do and places to go and even though the wind was blowing over 30 mph, I was looking forward to getting out of the house to get some stuff done that I wanted to do.

So I wrote out my list so I wouldn't forget anything, put Lexi in her crate, set the alarm, locked the door, opened up car door (remember the 30 mph winds?) and BAM!!! Nailed myself in the eye with the car door.

Now I've done this before and it always just feels like a "thud" and I just think, "well that kinda hurt" and go on my way. This time wasn't the same. I reach up to my eyebrow and look down at my hand to see blood. Great....so much for this little outing...

So I hurry back inside. At this point, I had no idea if it was just nicked a little bit or if blood was gushing out of my head. I had hoped for just a nick but got the later.

Blood wasn't just falling down my face but when I looked in the mirror it was obvious that I really sliced it pretty good, more than what it felt like. So as I'm trying to clean myself up, what is the first thing I think of?

I have to call Wes.

Now he is at work, busy I'm sure, so what in world is he going to be able to do other than ask if I'm okay? And maybe that is all I needed but talking to him was comforting. Just to hear the concern in his voice and telling me I would be alright. I knew I would be alright, but hearing it from him made me calm.

And then I realized, that even though we may not see each other as much as we would like, I cannot imagine life without him. I can't imagine not having that someone to call when something happens, good or bad. I know that he is someone who cares about me and my life, no matter what it is. He wants to comfort me and be that first person I call. Same thing goes for him. When he is having a bad day, I'm the first he calls. When he is having a good day, I'm the first person he calls.

Your spouse really does become your best friend. You end up wanting to share every detail of your life with them without even realizing it. You don't want to spend a day apart because you don't want to miss out on any part of their lives. Love and marriage is a powerful thing for the soul. It gives purpose and meaning to life that nothing but God himself can give.

Marriage is such a blessing from God. God knew what he was doing when he chose Wes and I for each other. Where one is weak, the other is strong. We are the best of friends and confide in one another. We love and support each other like no one else can. Though times can be tough, we always have each other.

So my eye...well I finally got it to stop bleeding, put some Polysporin on it and decided I would stay home instead. Although I knew the cut was pretty deep, I didn't think it needed anything else on it. It had stopped bleeding right? At dinner last night, we are talking to Stacy and she stopped and said, "Gosh! What happened to your eye?!". I'm thinking.. gosh..I didn't think it looked that bad. HaHa

Long story short, she told me it did look pretty deep and I should probably at least put butterfly stitches on it so it would close up and not leave a bad scar.

Here's proof Stacie, I did what you told me to do!







Oh well. It really doesn't hurt. Just put a "kink" in my plans yesterday. Now I am just left with a "to-do" list that hopefully will get done today.

That's really all I have for now. The DeWitte's are pretty exciting huh? :)

Here are some videos of Lexi I uploaded and a few pictures.












She is a typical girl, likes to look at herself in the mirror. :)









1 comment:

  1. Hang in there...I know it's tough right now since Wes is working hard and you are going to school but it will be worth it in the long run. Jason and I went through the same thing (and no honeymoon either...back to work the Monday after the wedding!)so I feel your pain. Enjoy your Sundays...there's nothing wrong with you guys being lazy and napping all day. You are still together! Make sure you take that time...both of you need to recharge together. :)

    ReplyDelete