“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.” Romans 12:12

Friday, June 8, 2012

The Joys of Pregnancy

Happy Friday everyone! The weeks just keep flying by lately that I can barely keep up with a weekly post on the blog.

What's new in the pregnancy update department? No picture for this week but gosh do I have some new symptoms to share!

I can't remember if I mentioned this in my last pregnancy update but heartburn/reflux has reared it's ugly head as of a few weeks ago. Luckily, it's manageable with meds but goodness it can be uncomfortable. I know my insides are being pushed up into my esophagus thanks to a healthy, growing baby, why would I expect to be completely comfortable all the time? :) The price you pay!

Speaking of my growing baby, round ligament hit me hard last week. Ya know, here I work in Labor and Delivery and we get calls at least every week from first time mom's asking about this sharp pain in their abdomen and if that is normal. And what do we do? Just roll our eyes (mind you this over the phone, the patients don't see the eye rolling) and calmly tell them that it's completely normal, it's just round ligament pain from your uterus growing and muscles stretching; drink lots of water and rest, you will be fine. Don't come in, you're NOT in labor!! haha

Okay....after experiencing round ligament pain first hand, it's no wonder these women freak out! It hurts!!! If I didn't know a thing about pregnancy, I might get a little concerned too. I had been laying on the couch taking a nap, woke up and tried to get up but was immediately caught off guard by this awful sharp, stabbing pain in my right lower abdomen. Hmm...that sure doesn't feel good. So I tried getting up slowly but still had the pain. I had to pee like crazy so I knew I was going to have to tough it out and somehow manage the pain.

This pain was so much that it just hurt to walk, let alone reach over to grab the toilet paper off the roll. It was fine when I wasn't moving, but the second I twisted or turned or moved at all...sharp pain. Then I started to remind myself of what I (as a nurse) would be telling a patient to do and just tried to relax. It continued to bother me the rest of the day but lessened up quite a bit by bedtime. A warm bath definitely helped too.

It has yet to return with such intensity but I occasionally get a tight discomfort every once and a while. Oh the joys of pregnancy and the symptoms that just confirm that baby is growing! :)

Ava has started to get the hiccups at least once a day. Sometimes I don't even notice unless my hand is over my belly but I know they will become more obvious as she gets bigger. She is moving ALL the time and I absolutely love it!!! I could just lay for hours watching my belly move, imagining what those movements will look like in just three short months.

Three months!! 90 days exactly today! Wow. It really does feel like just last month that we announced the pregnancy and here it's almost over. I still have the hot, Oklahoma summer to get through but my plan is to just stay inside in the wonderful air conditioning and call it good. :)

I did my one hour glucose test last week. Ugh! Ya know...that test wouldn't be so darn bad if they didn't make you chug 50 grams of sugar in just 5 minutes! No one would EVER drink that much sugar in such a short amount of time. That is more sugar than a can of coke! Ridiculous. The drink itself wasn't too bad. Tasted just like really sweet orange soda but it definitely left me feeling kinda icky the rest of the day.

I came home, ate something, and immediately took a long nap. Woke up, ate lunch, ran a few errands and was back in bed for nap #2 by 3:30 pm. I was exhausted. (This was, by the way, the same day that my round ligament pain decided to take effect) I was a total mess that day. It was a good thing I wasn't scheduled to work because I don't know if I could have made it through.

I keep getting told by other friends who have been pregnant that the fatigue comes back with the third trimester. I was afraid that was the beginning of returning fatigue but I've been okay since.

Now, I figured I wouldn't know the results of my glucose test for at least a week, maybe at my next appointment which is this next week. But I got a phone call from my doctor's office just two days later telling me that I didn't pass my one hour and now will have to do the THREE hour glucose test!!! Ahh!! Seriously? Seriously....

What am I going to do for THREE hours just sitting?? I know...I know...just bring a good book to read. Well...it's not that I don't like to read but I'm not that big of a reader unless the book is really good.

So I thought of a better idea. Call for reinforcements: Mom!! My mom is officially done with school so she can now come to visit whenever she wants so of course I decide to call her and see if she will come sit with me.

When I asked her, her reply was, "Well, what am I going to do for those three hours?" ha "Talk to me and keep me company" I responded. "Okay..." she said reluctantly. :) Thanks Mom!

Let me just say, I love having my mom so close. Although I would love to have her closer, it's so nice to be able to see each other often. We have built such a strong friendship since I have moved out of the house that I look forward to having a little girl that I will one day get to experience that same love and friendship with her. I definitely have a wonderful role model to look up to and can't wait for those special mother-daughter moments with Ava.

Next symptom: Pregnancy brain has officially taken over my brain. Not all the time but I have my moments that there is no doubt that something else is taking over. For example, at work I will go into a patient's room to do something. I come out of the room and ask the other nurses...."now why did I go into that room? what was I supposed to do?". What's bad is I DID do what I needed to do in the room but I just absolutely had no clue what it was just 5 minutes later; not only IF I did it but what in the world it was I needed to do! Ugh...so frustrating. At least I have something to blame it on.

I also had to buy Lexi a new bag of dog food the other day and completely walked out of the store with puppy food instead of adult food. Sheesh....I got the brand right at least! Oh well...I'm sure she will enjoy it!

Let's see...what else...back pain...check! Leg cramps...check! I'm officially pregnant! ha

I will try to take a belly picture soon, I promise. :) Until then, my crazy stories will just have to work.

(I think that was all I needed to blog about....pregnancy brain, I'm telling ya!)



 Pregnancy Ticker

No comments:

Post a Comment